Thursday, January 19, 2023

Portrait from a Photographer


Iron White Man

 I looked through each photographer's Richard Avedon, Gertrude Kasabier, and Irving Penn portraits and studied the ones that stood stronger than the others and came down to one in particular. 


One of Gertrude Kasabier's portraits came off particularly strongly to me in a good way. 


Gertrude Kasabier
Iron White Man
October 11, 2017
January 19, 2023


The reason I chose this portrait was for the story it could tell if it came alive and the wisdom he could share that is shown in his eyes of mystery and history. I thought it was a woman at first but the title says Iron White Man so I hope I am now appropriately assuming it's a man now. Not only could it tell such a deep story but how beautiful the culture she is capturing is in one signal portrait. Gertrude didn't only capture a Native American covered in colors of his and her people as I once heard "you should have seen it in color" I am now truly understanding the deepens of those words. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

W. Eugene Smith

  “ Don’t tell my mother,” said the young man. Still under the effects of ether, he didn’t realize she’d been holding his hand during the pr...