Friday, April 28, 2023

Thomas Struth


Unconscious Places


 I looked through both the Unconscious Places 1 and 2 and sat back and ponder if Struth really completed his goal. I will have to say yes I do think Struth accomplished his goal of “work with distance, to keep an open and innocent gaze, to work without any personal narrative or experience of the city" (Thomas Struth). It is possible to make photographs of a location without any connection to it at all. I do not think that the very act of turning your camera on any subject automatically put the subject matter under scrutiny. The reason I say that is because going into detail about a subject all depends on what the photographer wants to have the viewer preserve, that power is all in the photographer's hands and it just takes a click of a button to capture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

W. Eugene Smith

  “ Don’t tell my mother,” said the young man. Still under the effects of ether, he didn’t realize she’d been holding his hand during the pr...